Nonna's Lentil Soup w/ a twist
I grew up eating my Nonna's lentil soup, and much like many of her other dishes I love - I had to learn how to make it myself. This ones pretty easy, but I like to spice and herb it up a little bit! I even threw in the wild black rice to add a little dimension and texture. Plus, if I can squeeze a grain into my meal, I will!. This ones a filling one packed with protein, so it's boyfriend approved!
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cloves of garlic - minced
- Half of a white onion - chopped
- 2-3 carrots - minced
- 2-3 stems of celery - minced
- 1 cup of whole green lentils
- ½ cup of wild black rice
- 5-6 cups of water (depending on how thick or loose you want the broth)
- Fresh parsley
- Dill (dried or fresh)
- Red pepper
- Black pepper
- Sea salt
- Heat a generous amount of olive oil in a pot. I like to make sure I cover the entire surface.
- Add the garlic, onion, carrots and celery. Saute for 5 min.
- Add the Lentils. Saute for another 5-10min.
- Add the water and bring to boil, then reduce to a medium to low heat.
- Add the wild black rice. Let cook for 10 min.
- Add all of the seasonings to taste.
- Let cook for another 20 minutes or until lentils and rice are fully cooked.
Bon a petit!